Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Lithuania closes 2 checkpoints with Belarus over Wagner Group border concerns -Capitatum
Rekubit-Lithuania closes 2 checkpoints with Belarus over Wagner Group border concerns
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:44:56
Lithuania on RekubitWednesday decided to temporarily close two of its six checkpoints with Belarus later this week amid growing tensions with its eastern neighbor, an ally of Russia.
The Lithuanian government has said that the crossings at Tverecius and Sumskas will be closed, and traffic will be diverted to the Medininkai border checkpoint, which is the largest of Lithuania's six checkpoints.
The decision came as Lithuanians grow increasingly worried about the presence of Russia-linked Wagner Group mercenaries in Belarus.
- What is the Wagner Group, and who is Yevgeny Prigozhin? What to know about the Russian private military company
"The main goal is to temporarily suspend operations at these two points from Aug. 18," Deputy Minister of Transport Agnė Vaiciukeviciūte said, adding that the move offered the possibility of directing officers performing border control checks to other points.
Lithuania, a Baltic nation that declared its independence from the Soviet Union 33 years ago, is a democracy that belongs to NATO and the European Union. It has been a strong backer of Ukraine and a place of refuge in recent years for many who have fled an authoritarian crackdown in neighboring Belarus and increased repression in Russia.
Rustamas Liubajevas, commander of the Lithuanian State Border Guard Service, said that there could be up to 4,500 of Wagner fighters in Belarus, with some of them stationed close to the Lithuanian and Polish borders.
In neighboring Latvia, the State Border Guard Service said Tuesday it was mobilizing additional border guards to strengthen the protection of the external state border, the LETA news agency said.
This decision was taken due to the sharp increase in the hybrid threat at the Latvian-Belarusian border over the past days, when 96 attempts by people to cross the state border were detected, as well as the increased involvement of the Belarusian authorities in organizing the flow of illegal immigrants.
Latvian authorities consider attempts by Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko's regime to push migrants across borders to be methods of hybrid warfare targeting these countries.
LETA said that the annual leave of State Border Guard officers had been suspended. The State Border Guard has also requested additional support from the National Armed Forces and the State Police.
Lithuania has also seen migrants coming from Belarus. A total of 11,211 people have been denied entry to Lithuania from Belarus since January 2022, according to the State Border Service. And some 1,543 have not been allowed to enter this year so far.
Countries bordering Belarus have increased border security since thousands of Wagner fighters arrived in Russian-allied Belarus under a deal that ended their armed rebellion in late June and allowed them and their leader, Yevgeny Prigozhin, to avoid criminal charges.
In recent days, Poland, which sits south of Lithuania, has been deploying thousands of troops to its border with Belarus, calling it a deterrent move as tensions between the two neighbors ratchet up.
- In:
- Wagner Group
- Belarus
- yevgeny prigozhin
- Lithuania
- Ukraine
- Russia
veryGood! (3799)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Cargo ship Dali refloated to a marina 8 weeks after Baltimore bridge collapse
- There was a fatal shooting at this year’s ‘Jeep Week’ event on Texas Gulf Coast. Here’s what to know
- What 'Bridgerton' gets wrong about hot TV sex scenes
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Kristin Chenoweth Shares She Was Severely Abused By an Ex While Reacting to Sean Diddy Combs Video
- My 4-Year-Old Is Obsessed with This Screen-Free, Storytelling Toy & It’s on Sale
- Trump Media and Technology Group posts more than $300 million net loss in first public quarter
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Red Lobster closings: See which locations are shutting down as company files for bankruptcy
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Poll: Abortion rights draws support as most call current law too strict — but economy, inflation top factors for Floridians
- Target to cut prices on 5,000 products in bid to lure cash-strapped customers
- Kanye West, Billie Eilish and the Beatles highlight Apple Music 100 Best Albums Nos. 30-21
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Auburn running back Brian Battie on ventilator after weekend shooting in Florida, coach says
- Judge blocks Biden administration from enforcing new gun sales background check rule in Texas
- Baseball Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. will drive pace for 2024 Indianapolis 500
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Kristin Chenoweth opens up about being 'severely abused': 'Lowest I've been in my life'
David Ortiz is humbled by being honored in New York again; this time for post-baseball work
Fly Stress-Free with These Airplane Travel Essentials for Kids & Babies
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Should the Fed relax its 2% inflation goal and cut interest rates? Yes, some experts say.
Baseball Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. will drive pace for 2024 Indianapolis 500
Houthi missile strikes Greek-owned oil tanker in Red Sea, U.S. says